How To Celebrate Veteran Appreciation Month
This May, celebrate Veteran Appreciation month with a homemade craft, fresh plants and an easy recipe. These do-it-yourself projects are easy and fun for the entire family.
Red, White & Blue Wreath
12-inch wire wreath
Pieces of red and white tulle (The original instructions called for pieces that are 2-1/4 yards long by 54 inches wide.)
1. Cut 35 strips of each color of tulle. They measure about 6×15 inches each.
2. Knot the tulle onto the wire, switching colors after every five knots.
3. Curl a piece of blue star garland into a circle and tie it to the wreath with a small piece of tulle.
Red, White & Blue Flowerpots
Zinnia or another red plant
Blue iris or another blue plant
Daisy or another white plant
Red, white or clue planting pots
1. Purchase red, white and blue plants.
2. Pot in three different pots using plenty of fertilizer.
3. Place near the front door or porch.
Red, White & Blue Popsicles
1/2 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered (1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 pound blueberries
1 1/4 cups low-fat plain yogurt
1. Use a food processor to puree strawberries with 1 tablespoon sugar.
2. Transfer to a small bowl. Puree blueberries with 1 tablespoon sugar.
3. In another small bowl, whisk together yogurt and 2 tablespoons sugar.
4. Pour the three mixtures into ten 3-ounce ice-pop molds, making three to five layers in each.
5. With a skewer or thin-bladed knife, swirl mixtures together in an up-and-down motion. Insert ice-pop sticks and freeze until solid.